[Biojava-l] Refactoring gui.sequence

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:27:23 +0000

Hi all,

I am in the middle of refactoring the sequene rendering code. The most
important changes will be the addition of a SequenceRenderer
implementation that renders a list of other renderers, and a GUI
component that renders a portion of a sequence from a start to an end
index at a given zoom with a renderer. Using this, we can implement the
single-line version of SequencePanel. By adding multiple instances of
this class to a JPanel we can implement the multi-line SequencePanel
display. By wireing in clever star/stop/zoom semantics we can build all
sorts of interesting behaviors.

SequencePanel will still be supported (in the short term at least), but
if you look inside it, you will see that it is a pig to maintain, and
not that flexible.

Does anybody else use this package at the moment? Any comments, likes,
dislikes? One thing the package totaly lacks is any behavior (mouse
responsiveness). I have no idea how to plug this in. All ideas welcome.

The new hierachial ChangeType objects are so cool, I can't imagine
living without them any more (and that after just 1 day). Events rock!

Matthew