[Biojava-l] Distributions and collections

Schreiber, Mark mark.schreiber@agresearch.co.nz
Thu, 8 Mar 2001 11:29:48 +1300

Mostly I wanted a way to sort the distribution although this could be done
by using the associated alphabet as a list of sorted keys, perhaps with
alphabet index. Could people see a use for a binary search type behaivour eg
find the symbol which has a probability distribution closest to 0.5?

Mostly I was thinking that distributions are so close to a map why don't we
implement them. At some point its gotta be useful to pass your distribution
to reallyUsefulMethod(Collection c).

> What would be the behavior of a Sequence comparator? When would it be
> used? Java makes it easy enough to define comparators as little inner
> class closure thingies, but if you can define how a sensible
> catch-all
> sequence comparator should work, and you have a use for it,
> check it in.

Mostly just daydreaming about how it may be useful to sort/compare symbols
by property ie purine/pyrimidine and a way to intellegently sort redundant
sequences (do R's go before or after Y's). Would anybody use anything like
this?

Just my 0.02

Mark