[Biojava-l] Compiling with Jikes

Bradley A. Smith bradley.smith@Agouron.COM
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 10:09:35 -0800

> If you have the time, maybe you could post your results and test program
> on a Web page or something?  This would be something a lot of people would
> be interested in, I think.

The program is not a test program, but a real program called EPMR, which
refines protein crystal structures by molecular replacement using
evolutionary programming algorithms. Unfortunately, we only allowed release
the binary of the program.

Since I can't release the source code, I won't post my test results. I am
heavily against publishing data specific to programs without also releasing
the source code. Too often I've found the details in the code to be
critical. In this case, the compiler/VM tests may be specific to the
program; therefore only with the code can the results be analyzed. However,
in general, I think it is wise to investigate performance of your programs
with various compilers and VMs.

I wish I could be more help. Perhaps somday I will find time to do the same
tests with BioJava, and then I will be able to post the results.

Thanks,
  Bradley