[Biojava-l] SequencePanel, SequencePoster

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 21:59:49 +0100

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 07:01:56PM +0100, David Huen wrote:

> > As for printing text to standard out, yes, that's something we
> > should try to avoid.  But it's a very useful debugging technique ;).
> > I'll make sure a big search gets done before BioJava 1.2 (which
> > should be out in the not-too-distant future), and we can get rid
> > of all the old debugging code.
> >
> While we should strip stdout prints from 1.2, could we maintain them in
> biojava-live?  I use it extensively in the debugging of the parts of the
> code I work with.

I guess if we did the print-stripping immediately after putting
in the 1.2 branch, that'll work okay.

There are logging packages which handle all this rather nicely.
But it seems kind-of a shame to put in Yet Another Dependancy
when there's a comprehensive logging package coming with Java 1.4.
Probably we should just live with this issue 'til then, and try
to clean up debugging output once it's finished with (and yes,
I know I'm a candidate for number 1 offender here... ;-( ),

   Thomas.