[Biojava-l] SequencePanel, SequencePoster

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:36:50 +0100

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 06:16:02PM +0200, Johan Hattne wrote:

> We're writing a program using biojava that (among other things)  displays
> a sequence graphically. We looked into the demos supplied with biojava and
> customized the EmblViewer.java to suit our purposes. EmblViewer outputs a
> lot to stdout which I'm not too happy with. So I skimmed the list archives
> (I may very well have missed what I was looking for -- perhaps this has
> been answered before) and got the latest version off the CVS. Output has
> decreased but is still substantial. Now I wonder:
>
> Noting the many changes in the way one would draw a sequence from stable
> version 1.10 to the live version, will code written for the live version
> of biojava work with the next release?

The GUI code shipping with 1.10 was marked as highly experimental.
Since then there have been a lot of changes, and the code has
become much more useful.  Hopefully this means that there won't
need to be any more incompatible change.

As for printing text to standard out, yes, that's something we
should try to avoid.  But it's a very useful debugging technique ;).
I'll make sure a big search gets done before BioJava 1.2 (which
should be out in the not-too-distant future), and we can get rid
of all the old debugging code.

   Thomas.