[Biojava-l] LocationTools + Decoratorated Locations = ?

Schreiber, Mark mark.schreiber@agresearch.co.nz
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:57:38 +1200

Sorry to make it unclear,

It could be very useful but I can only think of that one example of where
you might want to do it. Essentially you are looking at renumbering the
coords of a larger plasmid which is the union of two smaller fragments. You
could then ask where do the two smaller fragments intersect the larger
fragment, all of which would be cool for plasmid mapping software (which I
guess is your interest)?

So I guess I have talked myself around to the idea that it would be useful,
but only in this instance. It could require some kind of Cloning API (which
would be useful) ie methods to join two circular sequences etc.
Alternatively you could linearize both sequences (remembering the point at
which they where linearized) then do the comparison.

Kudos if you can do it, circular coords give me a headache!

Mark Schreiber
Bioinformatics
AgResearch Invermay
PO Box 50034