[Biojava-l] RE: Re: JDK1.4 and IDE's

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 16:42:39 +0100

I'm afraid that, realistically, using generics in BioJava
might be some way off -- Unless Sun are moving their release
schedule up a couple of gears, it's going to be 18 months
before JDK1.5 hits the streets

Of course we could adopt the generic types much sooner
(now! :) using the experimental compiler (which works
find for me), but this would upset quite a few people,
especially those who are using IDEs.

Sequences validated at compile time using the generic types
are an interesting idea, but not really compatible with
BioJava's Alphabet model (which is fundamentally dynamic).
I think you'd need a language with a much broader interpretation
of what a `type' means before this could be made to work
(but I'd be very happy if this turns out not to be the
case!)

     Thomas.