[Biojava-l] JDK1.4 and IDE's

Schreiber, Mark mark.schreiber@agresearch.co.nz
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 10:02:48 +1200

Hi -

Just another thing with switching to 1.4, Almost all of the current IDEs do
not support many of the aspects of 1.4

I got this from the JBuilder development team;

>No, the JBuilder team refuse to test on an unreleased platform as it does
>hideous things to their shipping schedule. JDK 1.4 removes the classic VM
>and when JBuilder issues a debug command, it switches the jdk
>into -classic - this will cause the final release of JDK 1.4 to bomb so I
>would expect a patch or some such after JDK 1.4 is released to fix this.
>There are a lot of other features in JDK 1.4 (assertions, dynamic class
>reloading, etc) which will also dramatically affect the way that JBuilder
>operates, so I would expect to see most of these surfaced in JBuilder 6.

Most IDEs will probably become 1.4 compatible around 6 months after the 1.4
release.
Do most people use IDEs or are we all serious command line hackers?

Mark

Mark Schreiber
Bioinformatics
AgResearch Invermay