[Biojava-l] JDK 1.4 and Macs

Keith Satterley keith@wehi.EDU.AU
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 11:59:25 +1000

Macintosh support is critical to me!

In terms of potential users of BioJava projects, we have 350 Mac users, less than 10 Windows users and about 20 Unix users. My knowledge of Medical Research Institutes around the world, is that Macintosh platforms are still quite commonly used, but probably not in many commercial organisations.

Some may not know that a java runtime engine for Java 1.3 has only become available in March this year when Max OS X was released. Previous to this, the JRE on Macs with OS versions 9 or lower, only supported Java 1.1.8. We are not expecting to put OS X on many older Macs and only onto newer Macs after OS X has bedded in a bit longer, probably a few months time, so we are still not able to run Java 1.3 programs yet on our user Macs. I don't know when a JRE for 1.4 for the Mac will be released, but not too long I hope.

Please don't go to 1.4 until a Mac JRE can run with it.

Keith

Keith Satterley
Division of Genetics & Bioinformatics
The Walter & Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Melbourne, Victoria
PH: +61 3 9345 2628
FAX:+61 3 9347 0852
MOBILE: 0425 700 419
email: keith@wehi.edu.au