[Biojava-l] SQL-backed persistent Biojava sequence/feature objects

David Huen David Huen <smh1008@cus.cam.ac.uk>
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 10:42:29 +0100 (BST)

a) choice of DB
I've made a start on implementing the above and using Postgresql
for the purpose as it appears to be the only "free" database with
transactions implemented.  I figure we will want transactions as we will
either want the sequences/features completely instantiated or not at all.

There appears to be a JDBC for Postgresql.

Are there any strong objections to the choice or considerations I might
have missed?

The above might take some time as my SQL and JDBC are pretty much ground
zero.  Ach well, things can only get better...

b) identifier for used for retrieval
When recovering sequences from the DB, I'll need some identifier.  Is
there any reason I shouldn't use the uri field or will I need to offer an
alternative naming field to use for retrieval as well?

Regards,
David Huen, Dept of Generics (as an enquirer named us recently),
University of Cambridge