[Biojava-l] ChangeVetoExceptions

Cox, Greg gcox@netgenics.com
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:00:15 -0400

I agree with your setup in the last paragraph, but I'm not sold on the
conclusion.  I think that BioJava has enough of a learning curve without
untyped exceptions.  Yes, I've found empty catch blocks somewhat annoying,
but not more than that.  I don't see the payoff being worth the effort, in
both documentation/rewriting code and difficulty understanding the system.

Greg

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Schreiber [mailto:mark_s@sanger.otago.ac.nz]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2001 6:05 PM
To: Thomas Down
Cc: biojava-l (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Biojava-l] ChangeVetoExceptions

This seems more elegant but also requires more experience from the
programmer and more detailed documentation. I think that Biojava already
contains enough advanced stuff to require a good familiarity with biojava
so developers should be able to cope with some unenforced exceptions.
Documentation could be the downfall of what seems to be an elegant
solution as it would require some class methods (possibly many) to be
redocumented :(