[Biojava-l] ChangeVetoExceptions

Schreiber, Mark mark.schreiber@agresearch.co.nz
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 09:52:38 +1200

Hi -

I was wondering if it might be better if ChangeVetoException could be
subclassed from an unchecked exception.

I know that unchecked exceptions are a contentious issue in java but in many
cases when writing a simple program I want to add a feature to an internal
feature holder or a sequence to an internal SequenceDB where there is no
possibility of an exception been thrown. By making it an unchecked exception
a lot of cruft could be removed from simple programs. By clearly labelling
the methods that through a ChangeVetoException developers of more
interoperable applications could be made aware of the possible need to catch
this exception. In the simple case of a temporary SeqDB or similar it would
be best to let the program die as a ChangeVetoException here would indicate
something seriously wrong with the program or the biojava class.

Anyone for heated discussion ;)

Mark

Mark Schreiber
Bioinformatics
AgResearch Invermay
PO Box 50034
Mosgiel
New Zealand

PH: +64 3 489 9175

Attention:
The information contained in this message and or attachments is intended
confidential and/or privileged material.  Any review, retransmission,
is prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
the sender immediately.