[Biojava-l] snapshot? / Sun hardware donation to open-bio

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Mon, 02 Jul 2001 09:20:12 -0400

Since the paperwork is in order and the hardware should be arriving
shortly I feel comfortable revealing for the first time on one of our
public lists that Sun Microsystems has donated a very significant amount
of hardware to our project(s). Included in the hardware grant are
several nicely configured Netra T1 rackmount servers and a much needed
external RAID storage system.

I'm not sure when I will have time to configure and build out our "new"
server infrastructure but it will certainly not happen in time for
BOSC/ISMB. Most likely we will have the system(s) online in the
August/September timeframe.

So- in a few months biojava people will have access to Solaris 8 running
on Netra servers. This should probably be a sufficient OS/platform to
test your nightly builds :)

We have also purchased a Pentium III VA Linux 1220 rackmount server
(taking advantage of their firesale pricing) but if it becomes our
firewall/IDS it will most likely be off limits for dev work.

Any Sun or Solaris gurus in the Boston area who would be willing to help
with setup and config issues please drop me a line.

-Chris