[Biojava-l] Newbie build question

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:03:53 +0000

On Wed, Jan 24, 2001 at 08:47:27AM -0500, Cox, Greg wrote:
> I checked biojava out of cvs, and I'm having problems getting the build tool
> to work.  I've added xml.jar to my classpath, but when I run build.Builder
> all it fails on references to com.sun.xml.tree.* and parser.*  However, when
> I run javac directly on a class that fails with build, it compiles without
> errors.

This is just bad luck -- there was some code checked in
a couple of days ago which used xml.jar, and you seem to have
picked that up.  In the latest revision, it's been fixed
to use xerces.jar instead.

If you do a `cvs update' you should be fine.

> 	The build tool works when "|xml.jar" is added to Builder.props.
> More generally, it seems that Builder doesn't work off of the current
> classpath, but creates a new one for biojava.  Is this accurate?

Specifically, the builder invokes javac with the -classpath
option, and it then ignores the CLASSPATH environment variable.

The biojava build tools isn't a particularly wonderful piece
of software, but it served a need when it was written.  I'm
now using `ant' for day-to-day builds, and I suspect we'll be
switching wholesale to ant after the 1.1 release.

Let me know if you have any more trouble,

    Thomas.