[Biojava-l] Heads up: packages moving

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 22 Jan 2001 17:36:25 +0000

"Dickson, Mike" wrote:

> Regarding maintaining the corba work, I'd been considering donating a bunch
> of the code we've done for the OMG LSR BSA to BioJava.  It would of course
> be based on different IDL's than the current corba work.  My idea was to
> write adapters that map the BSA Impl code to BioJava under the hood (for a
> server implementation for instance) and also an adapter  that would map the
> BSA interfaces to BioJava interfaces. This would allow a client to use the
> BioJava interfaces and still talk to remote objects.  I believe something
> similar to this approach was used in the current corba code.  Anyway, I'd
> like qet an idea of interest in the work I'm proposing.

If you would like to donate the code, I can set you up with CVS access. The
adapters would go into their own CVS packages. I guess you would be responsible
for maintaining them. Interoperability with BSA has to be a good thing - what do
the industry people think?

I don't see BioCorba and BSA as rival CORBA services for BioJava, esp if neither
one is in the core repository. I think that if both are available, then people
can chose the one that is most apropreate for a given task.

Matthew