[Biojava-l] Re: HMM's and Distributions

Hilmar Lapp hlapp@gmx.net
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:43:40 -0800

Matthew Pocock wrote:

> Perhaps we should tag API as stable in the javadoc once we believe that it
> shouldn't change?

You should do so when it *doesn't* change anymore, not according
to your belief. Regarding stability, a significant improvement of
the code structure may be a good reason to change an API, but then
don't claim an API to be stable. Over the last 8 months I have
seen many of the core BioJava APIs change, so if stability is what
you primarily want, BioJava isn't. This doesn't make the package
bad (in fact, it's very good work), but you shouldn't raise wrong
expectations. In industry an API is stable if it changes maybe
once in a year.

	Hilmar
Hilmar Lapp                                email: hlapp@gmx.net
GNF, San Diego, Ca. 92122                  phone: +1 858 812 1757