[Biojava-l] Bibliographic objects

Dickson, Mike mdickson@netgenics.com
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 12:05:13 -0500

You might want to look at the BQS submission to the OMG.  It addresses
definitions for and query of Bibliographic information in life sciences.  It
was submitted by the EBI and (I thought) very nicely done.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Down [mailto:td2@sanger.ac.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2001 10:30 AM
To: biojava-l@biojava.org
Subject: [Biojava-l] Bibliographic objects

This isn't a new idea

   (http://biojava.org/pipermail/biojava-l/2000-May/000249.html)

but...  I'm interested in deverloping a [Bibliographic] reference
object model in BioJava.  These objects would be constructed
by things like EmblProcessor (and SwissprotProcessor) from the
headers of sequence records.  If we get them right, they might
also have many other applications, including running
stand-alone reference databases.

Is there any demand for this?

If we go ahead, I'd like to see an object model which is tightly
coupled to a sane XML schema.  You'd think that there should be
some standard XML bibliography schema, but right now we seem to
have:

  - Schemas (well, generally DTDs actually *sigh*) intended
    for heavy duty use in library systems.  For example, see:

      http://www.culture.fr/BiblioML/

  - Bibliography systems embedded in other applications (for
    instance Docbook)

Has anyone used an XML bibliography system?  Any recommendations?

``If I was going to carry a large axe on my back to a diplomatic
function I think I'd want it glittery too.''
           -- Terry Pratchett