[Biojava-l] Alphabet Manager

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 13:39:15 +0000

Hi.

Neither Thomas nor I are protein people. I have no problem with the more
esoteric amino-acids being added, either directly or to an extended
alphabet. One way to get arround this is to add U as an ambiguity symbol
that matches just one amino-acid (whatever it is a modified form of -
I'm showing my lack of knowledge now). This way, it becomes an alias for
compute reasons (like DP), but is still identifiable. I'ts a bit of a
hack, but it will work out fine. Methylated DNA bases could be handled
with the same trick - methylated ambiguities for each base.

Roll on 1.2!

Matthew