[Biojava-l] Revised Parser

Forsch, Dan dorsch@netgenics.com
Thu, 8 Feb 2001 21:13:05 -0500

I believe Greg and Thomas may be discussing slightly different issues.  Greg
was proposing changing the parsing logic to deal with unrecognized tokens
more gracefully than simply throwing a ParseException.  Because that code
isn't re-entrant an entire db entry containing one of the unsupported forms
such as remote locations could not be processed by the parsers.

Thomas' suggestion to have an 'acceptRemoteFeatures' flag seems to me to
make sense once accepting them can be suported.  I agree with allowing users
to choose the behaviour they want, but until the types can be modeled with
the BioJava interfaces I'm not sure what choice there can be.  Maybe I
misunderstood.  Was the thinking that a true value for
'acceptRemoteFeatures' would result in ParseException being thrown in the
interim, but false would suppress the exception?

I see the issue as being a need to come to a consensus on what constitutes
an exceptional case, or at least one that results in complete failure from
the perspective of the caller.  Viewed that way, my preference would be to
have only one expected behaviour rather than multiple options.  However, if
the group prefers the route of more user control for the parsing behaviour,
I agree with Thomas that we should not introduce multiple top-level classes
since then the logic in both would need to be maintained.

I know we're in a release freeze period so resolving this may have to wait
until post.

Dan Forsch, Principal Software Engineer
NetGenics, Inc.