[Biojava-l] Error with VisualJ++

Wiepert, Mathieu Wiepert.Mathieu@mayo.edu
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:10:52 -0600

I actually use Forte for Java, from sun.  It is a build made from netbeans
code, but has some support from sun.  The Community Edition is free, but
netbeans might have more enterprise function free if you need it.  In either
case, I find them both to be very good IDE's for java.  We have some
JBuilder users and Forte users in my group, the functionality seems fairly
similar in both (close enough that neither side can make a compelling reason
to switch, except that Forte is free :-)

http://www.sun.com/forte/ffj/resources/downloads/index.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Dickson, Mike [mailto:mdickson@netgenics.com]
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2001 7:55 AM
To: 'Petri Pehkonen'; Thomas Down
Cc: biojava-l@biojava.org
Subject: RE: [Biojava-l] Error with VisualJ++

You're pretty much out of luck.  You could try getting the backwards
compatible collections stuff from the sun Java site for InfoBus.  There is a
version of the collection classes that should work on a Java 1.1.(5ish) vm
which is what J++ is.  That won't address other post 1.1 features that
biojava may depend on.  BTW, even the new J# (J++ +) is still a 1.1 VM so I
don't expect this will ever get addressed by MSoft, probably due to the
Sun/M$ lawasuit.  Someone tell me again how we all "won" based on how the
suit got settled.

If you're just looking for an capable IDE to use that doesn't have expensive
licensing attached take a look at NetBeans (http://www.netbeans.org) It just
might do the trick.