[Biojava-l] Error with VisualJ++

David Huen smh1008@cus.cam.ac.uk
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 13:55:42 +0000 (GMT)

On Mon, 10 Dec 2001, Petri Pehkonen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank's! Visual J++ didn't build the program you (Thomas) gave. It didn't
> find Map and HashMap -classes so it supports Java 1.1. Now I wonder how to
> make it support 1.2 or higher, suggestions?

IMHO,the effort to extend VJ++ would probably be greater than that of just
using Sun's 1.3.1 or 1.4 if you can live without an IDE.  Sun have their
own free cut-down IDE too (full version costs money) but I just use pico
;-).  With ant around it doesn't hurt that much... honest.

I would suggest using a standards-compliant Java. As Java standards
continue to evolve, it is possible that BioJava will eventually use new
functionality in more recent releases. Since MS don't intend to
improve their Java implementation to track these changes, I think these
problems will come back to bite you repeatedly.