[Biojava-l] SVM regression

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Tue, 21 Aug 2001 19:27:34 +0100

Hi Mark,

You can convert HMMs into kernels (assuming that they are fully
symetrical pairwise aligners) using the biojava DP package. You will
have to write a bit of code to capture the agregates of the
forwards/backwards scores into a ModelTrainerContext (see
BaumWelchTrainer for an example of how to do this). From these numbers
you should be able to calculate the apropreate matricies. The colt is a
good Java matrix library. I have found that using raw HMM forwards
scores (either probabilities, log probabilities, or either of the above
projected onto a unit sphere) gives realy crappy results, as most
sequences don't resemble each other very much. Also, pay some attention
to the architecture of the HMM used to align the sequences. This acts as
in the flavour of a prior over which types of sub-sequences are
informative basies in the suffix-tree space implicitly constructued by
the kernel. If this space is the 'wrong' shape, then vast numbers of
support vectors will be required to define a suitable plane.

All the best,

Matthew