[Biojava-l] ChangeEvent stuff

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 20:20:56 +0100

Hi.

A long time ago, we discussed adding a generic change notification/veto
framework for BioJava. I have found some bugs with the DP code that can
only sensibly be fixed by having proper listeners attached to a variety
of objects.

I have checked in some classes to org.biojava.utils to set up the
framework (initial versions written by Thomas), and have started work on
org.biojava.bio.dp and org.biojava.bio.dist, adding in the ChangeType
objects to interfaces and building the notification infrastructure.

It looks like it will be a realy clean framework, giving us a lot of
power with little overhead, so fingers crossed. The down-side is that I
will have to add the mutability fields & methods to core-interfaces like
Sequence. The upside of this is that once these are added, we can have
propper dynamic implementations e.g. a sequence that users can edit, or
annotaion that reflects rows in a dynamic database, and all the other
objects can maintain apropreate state.

I guess this should all be done-and-dusted before a future 1.1 release.

Joon: You're out of your tree
Sam:  It wasn't my tree
                                                 (Benny & Joon)