[Biojava-l] BioJava DAS server - version 0.04

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 18:11:01 +0100

[Reply CCd to list, since you're the second person to ask these
questions...]

On Thu, Sep 14, 2000 at 10:40:54AM -0400, Triplett, Terry wrote:
> Thomas,
>
> Thanks for the link.  I just wanted to mention that when I follow that link,
> all I ever get is "Bad DAS Command" (this was true the first time you posted
> this as well), so I can't actually see anything.  Forgive my ignorance, but
> am I missing something?  Should I be using some sort of client to connect to
> that url or should there be some sort of web interface there?

No, it's not a web interface (although a web-based DAS client
might be a nice idea).  You would norally use a dedicated client
to connect to the server.  If you want to try browsing by hand,
a good place to start would be the `data sources' command:

  http://das.ensembl.org/test/das/dsn

If you are interested in DAS, you'll probably want to look
at

  http://das.wustl.edu/

This has lots of information, includeing a list of all the
commands you can try, and the formats of the XML documents
you will get in reply.

Hope this makes a bit more sense now,

One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is
constantly making exciting discoveries.
                                       -- A. A. Milne