[Biojava-l] database for biojava

McCulloch, Alan alan.mcculloch@agresearch.co.nz
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 17:43:45 +1300

Does anybody have any tips on the right approach to setting up a database
on top of which would sit biojava ?

The platform will be Oracle 8 and I am very keen to NOT do my
own data model (in the same way I'm keen to not do my own api/object
design which is why I want to use something like biojava !) - I want to
use a standard model if possible, if there is such a thing.

Can a relational data model of some sort be derived from biojava ?

Maybe I could use something from the bioxml  project ?

I'd be grateful for any tips on where to start.

thanks

Alan McCulloch
Bioinformatics Software Engineer
AgResearch NZ

PS

One thing I'm interested in is the possibly of using Oracle CLOBs and LOBs
to perhaps store structured data or documents in single database fields (and
so avoid a totally normalised design for storing document contents
, which can be a pain) - however this is secondary to trying to use
a "standard" sequence data model if possible, if there is such a thing.