[Biojava-l] New BioCorba IDL

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Wed, 08 Nov 2000 16:58:15 +0000

Hello all.

BioCorba is the bio* project that defines idl that should allow the
projects to interoperate programmaticaly. I think it is a very good
thing to have, particularly as it potentialy allows different parts of
informatics problems to be tackled in different languages without
re-writing all the code.

Those of you subscribed to the bioxml mailing list will know that Alan
Robinson has made a proposal for a new BioCorba idl
(http://biocorba.org/pipermail/biocorba-l/2000-November/000044.html).
The new IDL should be better behaved in situations where server memory
is an issue. Regardless of how perfect it is, it is definitely an
improvement over the current data model, and handles things like feature
hierachies more cleanly.

The BioCorba server and client has a seperate life-cycle to the BioJava
core, so our code should be in a seperate CVS module (but in the current
biojava repository) - how about a module called biocorba? Do any of you
use the current BioCorba client/server? Is anybody interested in being
the BioJava spokesperson for BioCorba-related things and/or our BioCorba
developer?

Anyway, thanks to Alan for putting together this revision, and getting a
reference server & client together.

Matthew