[Biojava-l] Re: Biojava-l digest, Vol 1 #39 - 5 msgs

Peter pa_wilki@gene.concordia.ca
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:52:00 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, Thomas Down wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 10, 2000 at 10:34:06AM -0500, Peter wrote:
> >
> > There are no books on the use of Java or CORBA that I am aware of. Not
> > only that, in the long term, I would advise against the use of CORBA. I
> > expect that Jini will replace CORBA.
>
> That surprises me.  Jini is based on the RMI proceedure call
> system (I don't know if Sun have any plans for moving Jini
> to anything other than RMI -- certainly the specs I've seen
> haven't really been going in this direction).  RMI is great
> for small/simple things, but is widely considered to be
> unsuitable for `enterprise' deployment, primarily because it
> requires the creation of a server socket for every remote
> object.

Not exactly, RMI is used within the context of Jini; Jini is not based on
RMI. This seems to be a common misunderstanding.

You are correct in saying that RMI is used for small things, such as
straightforward client/servers, and you are right in saying that it is
far from complete for enterprise deployment. But RMI is only one for the
tools that Jini calls upon.

Peter

> Anything which is true for `enterprise' deployment is likely
> to be doubly so when serving big biological databases.
>
> A lot of Java developers are now looking favourably at IBM's
> RMI implementation (bundled in JDK1.3) which allows the RMI
> programming models to be used over the CORBA IIOP protocol.
>
> Thomas.
> --
> When God gave out chins, I thought he said gins;
> I asked for a double.
>                       -- Anonymous

| Peter Wilkinson                                                       |
| mailto:pa_wilki@gene.concordia.ca                                     |
[          The Center for Structural and Functional Genomics            ]