[Biojava-l] blast parser

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 06:22:35 +0000 (GMT)

> We've also weighed up the pros and cons of generic vs specific systems
> for parsing different programs. We decided to go for a generic solution.
> That is, we have objects (both Java value objects, and XML-based
> representations) that capture all aspects of information associated with
> the following pieces of software:
>
> o Blast (NCBI)
> o Wu-Blast (Wash. U.)
> o Hmmer (Wash. U.)
> o DBA (Sanger)

Sounds like you guys are really moving along (plus I love it when
someone is using my program...)

This really should play well with sequence features somehow. I happen to
know that michele clamp wants to propose somewhat different sequence
features for biojava that draws on our experience of these beasts, in
particular in ensembl, so - I guess - now is the time to speak up
michele before these guys write too much ;)