[Biojava-l] Possible minor change before 1.0

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 30 Jun 2000 17:39:13 +0100

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 05:53:04PM +0100, Simon Brocklehurst wrote:

> Any reason not to simply deprecate nextSequence() and add next() ?
>
> One of the advantages of Java for developing apis is that you don't
> actually have to keep breaking code, especially for this kind of
> "tidying up" of method names.

That's an alternative option.  I'm just slightly reluctant since
  a) This is an interface, which potentially quite a lot of
     people will eventually want to implement.

  b) We're still pre-1.0.  I'd quite like to see 1.0 land up with
     a set of core interfaces which are as cruft-free as possible,
     and those can then serve as a baseline for future evolution
     (with maximum effort made towards compatibility).

But I'll go the deprecation route if enough people are already
relying heavily on this interface.

He looked up with big brown eyes.  ``They're really only
tiny little A-bombs, honest.''
                                     -- David Brin.