[Biojava-l] [proposal] SequenceAnnotator

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 12:18:37 +0100

Thomas Down wrote:

>   AnnotatedSequenceDB:
>        Lazily applies a SequenceAnnotator to all sequences as
>        they are retrieved from an underlying SequenceDB object.
>
>   ViewSequence: (anyone have a better name?)
>        Presents a view on any underlying Sequence object, and
>        implements MutableFeatureHolder.  New features are added
>        to the ViewSequence, rather than to any underlying Sequence

Looks good to me - mabey should have been proposed before depricating the
old Annotator stuff :-)

The FeatureHolder implementation for ViewSequence should allow for
integrating distributed annotation into a single combined view, since it
is the same sort of process as integrating the underlying features with
decorating ones.

At some point in the future we will have to consider commiting features
from the decorating view back to the underlying sequence, but not for
1.0.