[Biojava-l] Open source, standards etc.

David Martin david.martin@biotek.uio.no
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 20:01:02 +0100

Just a quick 2p's worth..

Open source is definitely the way to go to ensure that the most utility
is gained from the project. How open source is a matter of question. My
gut feeling is that the core object libraries should be LGPL or similar to
allow them to be incorporated into anything without a problem.

Applications that form part of the archive should probably be GPL or a
similar license.

Others may disagree.

As regards standards, it is probably worth looking at the OMG biomolecular
sequence analysis IDL and aiming to make biojava effectively an open
source implementation of that. In any case ensuring that the OMG
interfaces are included in biojava would IMHO be a Good Thing (tm) I
haven't had time to build anyhting yet as the standards were still in
development last time I was doing stuff in Java. (then a change of job
etc. etc.. but I have a new postdoc who might pick up the ball and run
with it.)

regards from the frozen North..

..d

(A java parser and GUI builder for EMBOSS ACD files would be really
cool..)

*  Dr. David Martin                  Biotechnology Centre of Oslo   *
*  Node Manager                      Gaustadalleen 21               *
*  The Norwegian EMBNet Node         P.O. box 1125 Blindern         *
*  tel +47 22 95 87 56               N-0317 Oslo                    *
*  fax +47 22 69 41 30               Norway                         *