[Biojava-l] Java code ???

Ewan Birney birney@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:41:38 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Thomas Down wrote:

> First of all, hi.  It's good to see some life on this
> mailing list :).

Ditto.

> I'd certainly be interested to see any code that's around.
> Documentation is, of course, a good thing -- I'd argue that
> the best approach is to write normal (Sun-style, except maybe
> not quite so cryptic...) JavaDoc comments for each class:
> JavaDoc output seems quite helpful when you're programming.
>
> At the moment, release mechanisms are basically an open
> question.  Three options, really:
>
>   - Just archive everything and put it on your web
>     site. (probably the best thing to do at first).

Or point to other sites.

>   - Look into getting a cvs.biojava.org public repository
>     set up (probably a good move in the longer term).

I would strongly suggest that someone does this at biojava.org. I am
not sure if Chris D is tracking this, but I know we can give you space
on bio.perl.org for your own cvs repository.

>   - (No promises yet but...) it might be possible
>     to get CVS set up at the sanger centre, which
>     would host the packages we've developed here, plus
>     any others that people might like to contribute.

I would stick to a institute neutral site (biojava.org)

> Right now, I can't see any harm in having some
> areas of overlap (``There's more than one way to
> do things.'').  Ultimately, it might be nice to
> have a single standard set of BioJava interfaces
> for core concepts such as Sequence -- but it's
> probably best to look at all the code that's around
> before making any decisions on this.

The sooner you can get a critical mass behind one cvs
repository the better - it means people have to live with
each other's code in their main cvs repository, but that
is what collaboration is all about.

Bascially guys - keep talking, and we'll see about a
repository for you.