[Biojava-l] GFF & feature creation

Ewan Birney birney@ebi.ac.uk
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 10:33:09 +0000

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, Peter Rice wrote:

> Matthew,
>
> We are going through feature handling for EMBOSS too. Internally,
> we are keeping somethign similar to GFF but it raised some issues.
>
> Proteins we will treat the same as DNA, but ignore the strand and
> frame fields in GFF.
>
> Joins across sequences are a problem. For example, the following EMBL
> entry where all except one of the the exons (and flanking sequence)
> are in separate entries.

Over here at bioperl/ensembl we too have this endlessly thorny problem.

I have come around to having a seqname attribute on sequence features
and *optionally* being attached to sequences. I am not sure Matt if
you have this system in biojava.

Matt's constructor problem is different and I appreciate that as well.
The many implementation/many type-interface problem is well... a
problem. I need to read up about this momento thing.

I would advise to try to keep as many things out of the sequence object
as possible though....

Ewan Birney. Mobile: +44 (0)7970 151230
<birney@ebi.ac.uk>