[Biojava-l] nasty stuff

Triplett, Terry Terry.Triplett@wl.com
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 11:16:05 -0500

> We are currently LGPL. Does this cause you problems? We basicaly want
> something that protects us from having the code appropreated
> by a third
> party, but allows anybody to use it free of charge. I don't realy
> understand licensing (does anybody else out there?), but LGPL seemed

I don't think anybody except Richard Stallman does (cheek.add(tongue)).  I
did a quick survey for some good overviews:

Long but thorough:
http://www.softpanorama.org/Social/copyright.shtml

A categorization of various licenses by one sentence synopsis (eg. "Allows
distribution w/o source):
http://www.stromian.com/Open_Source_Licensing.htm

The list of 'approved' licenses at opensource.org:
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/

I *really* hope this doesn't turn into a long discussion about licensing,
but I guess it's best to give it some thought early on.