[Biojava-l] nasty stuff

Jared Nedzel nedzel@mpi.com
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 10:38:34 -0500

Matthew:

I am unable to get to the CVS repository at the moment.
Could you send me a copy a file header with the license?

If the code uses the Gnu Public License, then we probably
can't use it.  Here's the problem.  Millennium as a corporation
does not "sell" software.  However, we have large
partnerships ($100M USD+) with pharmaceutical corporations.
They give us a pile of money.  In return, we give them research
results (e.g., drug targets).  One of the things that
they get for their pile of money is access to our technology.
That includes our software.  So, while Millennium does not
"sell" software in the common sense, it could be interpreted
in the strict sense that, in fact, we do.  I can't imagine
us every "selling" a Blast parser -- we're in the drug
business, not the software business.  But we do analyze
blast results and do need to integrate that function into
some of our programs, and we do distribute some of those
programs to our collaborators.

Under the Gnu Public License, if we integrate GPL software
with our code, then we might have to make all our software
open source.  Consequently, the suits prohibit us from using
some (most?) GPL software.

The Perl artistic license is something our suits can
live with.  The Perl artistic license basically says that
if you make any changes to the underlying code, you need
to provide those changes to the community.  And if you
distribute it, you need to distribute the standard
version and not call it your own.

Here's the Perl artistic license, which you can get from
http://www.perl.com.  Sorry about the formatting.

Jared

-------------------------

The "Artistic License"

Preamble

The intent of this document is to state the conditions under which a
Package may be copied, such that the Copyright Holder maintains some
semblance of artistic
control over the development of the package, while giving the users of
the package the right to use and distribute the Package in a
more-or-less customary fashion,
plus the right to make reasonable modifications.

Definitions

     "Package" refers to the collection of files distributed by
      the Copyright Holder, and derivatives of that collection of
      files created through textual modification.

     "Standard Version" refers to such a Package if it has not been
      modified, or has been modified in accordance with the wishes of
      the Copyright Holder as specified below.

     "Copyright Holder" is whoever is named in the copyright or
      copyrights for the package.

     "You" is you, if you're thinking about copying or distributing
     this Package.

     "Reasonable copying fee" is whatever you can justify on the basis
     of media cost, duplication charges, time of people involved, and
     so on. (You will not be required to justify it to the Copyright
     Holder, but only to the computing community at large as a market
     that must bear the fee.)

     "Freely Available" means that no fee is charged for the item
itself,
     though there may be fees involved in handling the item. It also
     means that recipients of the item may redistribute it under the
    same conditions they received it.

   1.You may make and give away verbatim copies of the source form of
     the Standard Version of this Package without restriction, provided
     that you duplicate all of the original copyright notices and
     associated disclaimers.

   2.You may apply bug fixes, portability fixes and other modifications
     derived from the Public Domain or from the Copyright Holder. A
     Package modified in such a way shall still be considered the
     Standard Version.

   3.You may otherwise modify your copy of this Package in any way,
     provided that you insert a prominent notice in each changed file
     stating how and when you changed that file, and provided that you
     do at least ONE of the following:

        a.place your modifications in the Public Domain or otherwise
          make them Freely Available, such as by posting said
modifications
          to Usenet or an equivalent medium, or placing the
modifications
          on a major archive site such as uunet.uu.net, or by allowing
the
          Copyright Holder to include your modifications in the Standard
          Version of the Package.
        b.use the modified Package only within your corporation or
organization.
        c.rename any non-standard executables so the names do not
conflict
          with standard executables, which must also be provided, and
provide
          a separate manual page for each non-standard executable that
          clearly documents how it differs from the Standard Version.
        d.make other distribution arrangements with the Copyright
Holder.

   4.You may distribute the programs of this Package in object code or
     executable form, provided that you do at least ONE of the
following:

        a.distribute a Standard Version of the executables and library
files,
          together with instructions (in the manual page or equivalent)
on
          where to get the Standard Version.
        b.accompany the distribution with the machine-readable source of
the
          Package with your modifications.
        c.give non-standard executables non-standard names, and clearly
          document the differences in manual pages (or equivalent),
          together with instructions on where to get the Standard
Version.
        d.make other distribution arrangements with the Copyright
Holder.

   5.You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of
this
     Package. You may charge any fee you choose for support of this
Package.
     You may not charge a fee for this Package itself. However, you may
     distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly
commercial)
     programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial) software
distribution
     provided that you do not advertise this Package as a product of
your own.
     You may embed this Package's interpreter within an executable of
yours
     (by linking); this shall be construed as a mere form of
aggregation,
     provided that the complete Standard Version of the interpreter is
so embedded.

   6.The scripts and library files supplied as input to or produced as
output
     from the programs of this Package do not automatically fall under
the
     copyright of this Package, but belong to whomever generated them,
and
     may be sold commercially, and may be aggregated with this Package.
If
     such scripts or library files are aggregated with this Package via
the
     so-called "undump" or "unexec" methods of producing a binary
executable
     image, then distribution of such an image shall neither be
construed as a
     distribution of this Package nor shall it fall under the
restrictions of
     Paragraphs 3 and 4, provided that you do not represent such an
executable
     image as a Standard Version of this Package.

   7.C subroutines (or comparably compiled subroutines in other
languages)
     supplied by you and linked into this Package in order to emulate
     subroutines and variables of the language defined by this Package
     shall not be considered part of this Package, but are the
equivalent
     of input as in Paragraph 6, provided these subroutines do not
change
     the language in any way that would cause it to fail the regression
     tests for the language.

   8.Aggregation of this Package with a commercial distribution is
always
     permitted provided that the use of this Package is embedded; that
is,
     when no overt attempt is made to make this Package's interfaces
visible
     to the end user of the commercial distribution. Such use shall not
be
     construed as a distribution of this Package.

   9.The name of the Copyright Holder may not be used to endorse or
promote
     products derived from this software without specific prior written
     permission.

  10.THIS PACKAGE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
WARRANTIES,
     INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
MERCHANTIBILITY
     AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.