[Biojava-l] LSR BSA is hard

Brad Chapman chapmanb@arches.uga.edu
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 18:48:17 -0500

>What orbs are you using on the perl and python side of the
> equation?

On the python side we're using Fnorb (http://www.fnorb.org), which is
only a Corba 2.0 orb (using the BOA).

Other options that I know of for python are:

1. omniORB python bindings (http://www.uk.research.att.com/omniORB/omn
iORBpy/) Currently the development is in the middle of a switch from
the BOA to the POA (and a switch to a new idl compiler), so things are
a little messy there right now, but I think this might ultimately be a
good way to go as it is under heavy development. It think it's 2.3
compliant.

2. ILU (ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/ilu.html), which supports
CORBA 2.0 (AFAIK).

3. ORBit python bindings (http://www.bioinformatics.org/pyorbit/).
These are still in a really early stage, although ORBit itself is 2.2
compliant (and under lots o' development since it's used by Gnome).

The python mapping was just adopted on the 1st of this month, so
hopefully we'll see more and more support for python in the future.

Brad