[Biojava-l] IDL

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 19:56:05 +0000

Martin,

David Martin wrote:

> I have a few pennys worth to throw in here..
>
> Firstly I think that IDL is definitely the way to go to get a good design
> and interoperatability between the various bio* development efforts.

I too am looking forward to this all working out nicely.

> Now for the fun..
>
> At present the IDL is focussed exclusively on linear sequences of amino
> acids or nucleotides (of whichever flavour). This may prove to be a
> mistake in future as not all biological sequences are linear.
>
> I am thinking of the bio* IDL being useable across the whole spectrum of
> biocomputing rather than basic sequence analysis.

The current module is under org.Biocorba.Seqcore - it is specificaly aimed at
letting us pass sequences arround. This is a realy *good* thing to be able to
do (I look forward to corba-blast) but relies on not imposing any far-reaching
design philosophies on the servers or clients. I don't know what other IDL
modules will go under Biocorba as time goes by.

> If we start at the basic level, everything in molecular biology (in its
> broadest sense) is a unit at some scale. It typically forms part of a
> sequence of such units where one or more units precede it and it precedes
> one or more units.
> We are looking at the nodes of a unidirected graph.

So, I would be happy to see these kinds of concepts represented in biojava - I
think that things like pathways will become standard stuff for biologists to
look at - and not just on a big sheet of paper. These mabe are not things that
a naive CORBA server would handle very well, but they would work as java
objects.

Some of the graphy things I have seen try to make everything part of the graph
with the concequence that objects implement very unnatural interfaces. Of
course, I am sure that we could do better :-)

> Maybe you already have very good reasons for not taking this approach, but
> it is occasionally neccessary to do something a bit different to extend
> our capabilities rather than biojava being a clone of bioperl (worthy a
> goal though that is)

Not quite a clone - we already handle single sequence DP and Thomas is working
on two sequence DP (alignment stuff). But, a lot of the BioPerl ideas were
basicaly sound, and seem to work (the io modules for example), so I took them.
Our sequences are quite a bit more flexible, as are our features & locations,
but they look prety much the same as they are doing the same sort of job.

Anyway, with any luck biojava will evolve into a good foundation for all the
bio classes we need. I look forward to pathways making an appearance.