[Biojava-l] Database Management Systems

Simon Brocklehurst simon.brocklehurst@CambridgeAntibody.com
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:46:00 +0000

Lt Zhong wrote:

> All,
>
> What database Management System do you use internally
> for bioinformatics purpose? Oracle? AS400? or others?
> Any suggestions?  We try to set up a new database and
> have choices to use either Oracle or AS400.

Hi LTZ,

Do you mean DB2 running on an AS/400? You have many choices of
commercial database products, e.g.

Oracle, Sybase, DB2, Informix, SQLServer, ObjectStore, Objectivity, POET

Hardware vendors you could pick from include:

Sun, HP, IBM, Compaq, SGI, or Intel/AMD-based hardware.

The particular combination(s) of hardware platform(s) and database(s)
that would be best for you depend on what it actually is that you want
to do now, what your future requirements are likely to be, and what your
budget is.

Simon
--
Simon M. Brocklehurst, Ph.D.