[Biojava-l] SymbolList vs Alignment

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 16:52:46 +0000

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 08:40:40AM -0800, Emig, Robin wrote:

> >From Alignment....
> 	The alignment can be thought of as a rectangular array of Symbols.
> Each row is indexed by a label and each column is indexed by offset
> (counting from 0).
>
> >From SymbolList.....
> This uses biological coordinates (1 to length).
>
> Can we make this the same, either way is fine with me. 1 make more
> biological sense.

I'd suspect that's just a typo...  Unless you can find any
indexed-from-0 implementations (SimpleAlignment definitely
isn't), I'd just fix the documentation and forget about this.

Of course, whether SymbolLists should be indexed from 1
or 0 is another matter entirely, but we shan't go into that
one...

``If I was going to carry a large axe on my back to a diplomatic
function I think I'd want it glittery too.''
           -- Terry Pratchett