[Biojava-l] Bootcamp

chris dagdigian dag@sonsorol.org
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 17:49:05 -0500

Regardless of what happens with bootcamps etc. there will be a strong
Bio*.org project presence at ISMB'2001 so I strongly urge people to mark
the dates on your calendars. ISMB seems to be the one meeting where most
open-bio people turn up in person. I can't go into details because things
are not even close to being finalized but I'm hoping we will be organizing
another side-conference ('BOSC'2001) at ISMB and if Sun ends up sponsoring
the internet connectivity room then we are going to be asking them to
provide us with similar access or perhaps giving us special use of the room
in the days before ISMB begins.

So--

No matter what there should be a strong organizational presence at
ISMB'2001 that spans all of the open-bio projects (bioperl, biojava,
biopython, bioxml, etc. etc.) This may be a full blown BOSC-style official
ISMB side meeting or it may be a set of rooms that get set aside for our
own use. Nothing has been decided yet and our contacts with the ISMB'2001
organizers have not really been made firm so nothing is absolute.

If a biojava-specific bootcamp gets off the ground before or after ISMB
consider it a special treat made possible by the EBI/Sanger folks. It is
really up to them to settle on a date that is convenient. This is one of
the drawbacks to having an international user and developer base...getting
together in person is always hard to accomplish.

-Chris

--
Chris Dagdigian    (Home:Work) Blackstone Technology Group
dag@sonsorol.org        : dagdigian@ComputeFarm.com