[Biojava-l] Preparation for a 1.1 release?

Thomas Down td2@sanger.ac.uk
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 17:36:47 +0000

On Thu, Dec 07, 2000 at 04:40:13PM +0000, Keith James wrote:

>     Thomas>    - Does anyone have any comments about the current set
>     Thomas> of tutorials?
>
> Both the 'Symbols & SymbolLists ' and 'Sequences & Features' ones were
> absolutely vital for me to get started. If they hadn't been there I
> might have given up (or at least put it off until later). Working code
> snippets are a great way of pulling together the (somewhat abstract)
> concepts applied in the various packages and saying "here's how these
> fit together in a useful way".

Glad to know that someone found them useful!

>     Thomas>    - More tutorials would be great.  In particular:
>
>     Thomas>       + SequenceDBs + The search packages (if we get this
>     Thomas> hooked up to BLAST and/or FASTA).
>
> I admit it, I'm a documentation facist. I'll do the Fasta search
> docs/tutorial when the code is working. Is there going to be a common
> format (DocBook, or something?)

Nothing wrong with documentation facists.  In fact, a few more
might be useful ;-).

The current tutorial chapters are just written straight off
in XHTML and simple CSS stylesheeting, but this needn't set
a precendent.  I've not used the Docbook XML myself, but you're
welcome to use it for things you write yourself, and I'm open
to persuasion if you think I should be using it too.

Thanks,

``If I was going to carry a large axe on my back to a diplomatic
function I think I'd want it glittery too.''
           -- Terry Pratchett