[Biojava-l] seeking comments on proposed changes

Matthew Pocock mrp@sanger.ac.uk
Fri, 01 Dec 2000 11:00:11 +0000

Hi.

Thomas Down wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 29, 2000 at 06:29:21PM -0800, Scott Markel wrote:
> > We'd like to propose some changes and would like to get the group's
> > feedback.
>
> Great -- BioJava has grown quite a bit since the 1.0 release,
> and the more review it gets before 1.1 the better.
>
> >   * Location.empty.equals(Location.empty) evaluates to false.  The
> >     problem is that EmptyLocation returns Integer.MIN_VALUE from the
> >     getMax() method and the LocationComparator determines the distance
> >     between the max of two Locations using subtraction.  In this case of
> >     comparing Location.empty to itself the max values are both maximally
> >     negative so subtracting does not result in 0.  We'd like to change
> >     EmptyLocation's equals() method.
>
> That sounds reasonably to me...

This is my bad. I had always thought of the empty locatin as being the Locatin
equivalent to NaN. I can easily fix empty.equals for you.

As far as the file parsing stuff goes, if Thomas and yourself can come to some
agreement, I am happy with whatever you decide. Parsing performance is clearly
a speed-limiting step for some applications, so anything we can do to make it
go faster (without making the code totaly un-maintainable) is fine with me.

Matthew