[Biojava-l] Re: The open bioinformatics foundation.

Michael L. Heuer heuermh@shore.net
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 15:05:28 -0400 (EDT)

Ewan Birney wrote:

> Due to the amount of money that we have to process through BOSC and the
> existance corporate sponsors the whole thing, we are going to have
> something like
>
> "The Open Bioinformatics Foundation"

I would think the best model for this type of organization would be that
of the Apache Software Foundation, which currently oversees dozens of
projects, deals with large corporate sponsorships, and has a well-defined
process and 'organizational' structure in place.

More info at  http://apache.org/foundation/

Another open-source solution is Tigris (http://www.tigris.org).

> Re: central "coordinating" mailing list

Again, I think that the ASF has a good model already in place.

Each project has its own mailing lists (announcements, users, dev,
cvs-commits), and there is one global low-traffic announcements list.

At this point, there isn't really enough traffic on any one list to merit
the split (as ASF projects do), but it's something to look forward to as
the bio* projects mature.

Which, of course, I _do_ look forward to.

   michael