[Biojava-dev] release process

Michael Heuer heuermh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 4 15:37:40 UTC 2016

On Fri, Apr 1, 2016 at 1:15 PM, Andreas Prlic <andreas at sdsc.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> actually BioJava has a release process as well:
>
> http://biojava.org/w/index.php?title=BioJava:Make_release&redirect=no

Right, I'm intimately familiar with this doc.  :)

I guess I was thinking more about when to cut releases and deciding what
goes into one.  We've had some informal process around the larger releases,
a freeze date, issue review, etc.  It might be useful to codify this.

> Currently the following people are set up to perform releases:
>
> Spencer Bliven,
> Michael Heuer,
> Jose Duarte,
> Anthony Bradley,
> myself

Great!  We should make sure everyone's code signing keys are linked in the
web of trust.

> About the alpha release: I took the executive decision to push those and
> taught Anthony how to do this.  We are working on some major improvements
> for the protein structure modules. We will support a new file format that
> will allow to store all of PDB in memory. In preparation of this we did a
> few alpha releases, to make the migration of the code go more smoothly.
> They are not meant as main releases, but what they are, "alpha" builds.

I see and appreciate the distinction.

Does that mean they should be displayed on the Github releases page (which
I assume will happen if the tags are pushed to the biojava/biojava
repository)?  Do we host javadocs for alpha builds?  Mention on the wiki?
etc.

   michael