[Biojava-dev] Post-release branches

Spencer Bliven sbliven at ucsd.edu
Fri Jan 30 13:14:15 UTC 2015

One of the things I would like to be better about post-4.0.0 is releasing
bug fixes more quickly. For instance, users were complaining about having
to wait for 4.0.0 to work with Java 8, even through the Java8 bugs were
fixed soon after 3.1.0 was released.

I think this would be easy to do if we keep three branches going for
versions 4.0.1 (bug fixes only), 4.1.0 (backwards-compatible features
only), and 5.0.0 (major api changes). Pull requests should be made to the
appropriate branch, and changes can always be merged to a higher level
(e.g. the 5.0.0 should always contain all commits from the 4.1.0 branch).

Branches could be named pre4.0.1, pre4.1.0, master; or perhaps patch,
minor, master (to match semantic versioning levels).

What do people think? Would the ease of making patch releases and minor
releases be worth the burden of the added complexity?

-Spencer