[Biojava-dev] Renaming BioJava3 packages & modules

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Mon Oct 13 17:38:28 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'd argue that a package name is just a name. Most of us use an IDE and
auto-complete, rather than manually writing import statements. Most of the
time I don;t even look at the imports of a class. It seems there is little
to be gained by refactoring package names, besides causing work for
everybody who would need to refactor the code to support any new names.

Going forward my favorite naming convention for new packages names for
newly added classes would be

org.biojava.modulename.*

The structure modules are a slight exception to the rest of BioJava 3. They
always have been mostly backwards compatible to biojava 1 and the
fundamental interfaces have seen little change since the old days.

As such my vote would be not to change any package names, only the name of
the jar files that are available for download.

Andreas