[Biojava-dev] biojava 4 release planning

Jose Manuel Duarte jose.duarte at psi.ch
Fri Oct 10 08:37:34 UTC 2014

To me 1 month sounds a bit early. In any case to go with the "release
early, release often" philosophy, we can really try to push it soon, say
in a couple of months.

What about setting a target date of December (before the 15th)? I think
that can be helpful for everyone involved to get ready for it.

The milestone 4.0 in github doesn't show so much:

https://github.com/biojava/biojava/milestones/BioJava%204.0.0

But I think some other things are missing there, for instance
nice-to-haves in the structure module would be: improving structure
alignments (#126), reorganising symmetry code, finish secondary
structure implementation (#112)... All of these are of course optional,
they can always be pushed back if we can't reach them on time.

As for core and other modules I really have no clue. It would be nice if
someone can say if there are plans to add new features there.

An important issue we should really address is eliminating the biojava3
naming that some packages now have. The reason behind those names is
apparently keeping compatibility with biojava legacy, but by now we can
probably do without that. I'd say simply eliminating the 3 would do the
trick. Otherwise take an approach like blast where they kept a blast+
and a blast legacy. I'd favour simply eliminating the 3, it should help
to keep it simple.

Jose