[Biojava-dev] Java version for Biojava 4

Jose Manuel Duarte jose.duarte at psi.ch
Wed Oct 8 17:07:50 UTC 2014

I agree with Spencer that there's not much in terms of features that
justify the update. But the fact that Java 6 has been without security
updates since April 2013
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history) is not a minor
point. A question: are browsers right now even allowing applets to run
with so an outdated VM? How much time until a serious vulnerability is
found and Java 6 is blocked by browsers or even by firewall admins?

We should also not forget that we are talking about the *next* release
of Biojava, which will only happen some time in the future, say in 6
months or 1 year. By that time Java 6 will be > 2 years without updates,
so essentially dead. As Andy says Biojava 3.x will still be in 6 in case
someone really needs that.

In terms of real situations where having 7 is necessary now, I've
encountered one already (out of biojava): third party jars that have
moved to Java 7. e.g.: UniProt JAPI is on Java 7 since September 2013;
DRMAA-grid-engine library in maven central is only available in Java 7.
I admit that these are not such pressing reasons to move, but with so an
outdated Java 6 I guess that in the next year or so many people will be
moving their jars to 7.

Jose