[Biojava-dev] Parallel Programming

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Sun Jun 1 16:19:19 UTC 2014

Hi Daniel,

I didn't have any problems - I think it's a question of whether local
> parallelism or broader distributed processing capability than what's in
> bio.structure.align should be something supported in the library, rather
> than left to BioJava users.

I feel that there are many frameworks for parallelisation. While BioJava
should provide the core support for thread safety, I would not want to tie
it to one specific framework, because that would limit the freedom for the
user.

> In terms of documentation for local parallelism, I could write a cookbook
> entry based on the utility I mentioned (i.e. how to do parallel alignments
> using a thead pool).

That would be great. Besides the cookbook there is now also the beginnings
of a new tutorial on github. So far it only covers the structure modules.
However the github-markdown framework is a great way of doing something
like that and I hope that more content will get added over time.

https://github.com/biojava/biojava3-tutorial

Andreas