[Biojava-dev] Entrez Gene

Andreas Prlic andreas at sdsc.edu
Mon Feb 24 18:17:33 UTC 2014

Hi,

Erik McKee has suggested that he could contribute a data schema that would
represent large parts of Entrez Gene. In total these would be ~190 classes
that were auto-generated using jaxb.

It would be great to have more support for working with genomics data and I
am excited about such a contribution. The main question is how we could
organize such a major code addition. We already have a -genome and
-sequencing module. However since this is auto-generated code, we could
bundle this as an independent module and then just add a conversion layer
on top that, which would allow to convert data to biojava-core specific
classes.

Another question is if Maven should generate the code from the schema at
build time, or if want the final code. My feeling is that it would probably
be better to keep the final code in git, but keep instructions for how to
re-generate it.

Any thoughts from other people on this?

Andreas